Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

install floor tile on top of floor tile

Can I install floor tile on top of floor tile. There is a section in front of my non-working
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-03-14T18:49:35+0000  by Tutty Tutty

Hello Tutty and welcome to the Community.

I don't quite understand your question.  What does "There is a section infront of my non-working" mean?  Please provide more details about what type of tile you are installing, over what type of tiles.  And where are you installing them.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks

Charlotte

Posted 2018-03-15T14:14:27+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

There are two questions to be asked. One is common, the other seldom asked. Can and Should... Yes, we can do many things, that does not mean we should. If you check with any of the standards bodies for the various flooring types, they all share a common phrase, "Suitable Subfloor." Rarely is an existing floor a suitable subfloor for a new floor. Tile is not one of the exceptions that falls into the rare category. Do it right, do it once.

Here are two considerations. First, let's say you want to put new tile in a kitchen on top of an existing tile floor. You'll have a layer of thinset approximately 1/8-1/4" thick. Your new floor tile is probably 3/8" thick. This means you're raising the height of the floor about 5/8" above your existing floor. Your dishwasher breaks and you have to remove it for repair or  replacement. How do you get it out? You may not have enough clearance to angle it out between the countertop and the new floor that is now built up in front of it. Second example, you find a lovely new porcelain tile and install it on top of that outdated ceramic tile floor. You drop something. Porcelain is far less likely to break with the impact, but the shockwave can break the aged, fragile ceramic tile under it. Now you have to remove part of your new floor and hope you don't break something to repair your old floor. Then put it all back seamlessly. Just two examples of why not to do something that you probably can...

Posted 2018-05-03T23:14:35+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+