Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

installing windows

i am building an addition,i now need to make an opening in the wall to install windows,how do i make the frame for them?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-29T16:15:20+0000  by kimb kimb

Hello Kimb,

Welcome to the Community.

I’m glad to hear that you’re doing the addition yourself. Obviously you’re not afraid to take on large projects so it shouldn't be too difficult for you to understand the diagram that I put together for you.

The one thing that I would have to stress is to get with your Local Building Code office before you start anything. That way you know how they want it done before you have it inspected and the inspector tell you that you have to redo it. It’s always a great idea to keep the inspectors on your good side. :smileywink:

Window Framing.JPG                                                                                          

Most walls are framed with 2”x 4” studs at 16” on center. All exterior walls are load bearing so make sure that you use a double top plate and the correct size header for all your doors and windows. A traditional rule of thumb often used to size headers is the “inch per foot” rule which will provide adequate strength in most cases with spans up to eight feet. So for every foot in width you will need an inch in height, minimum of a 4” x 4”. I personally have never used anything smaller than a 4”x 6” for a header but that's the rule of thumb.

I hope this will give you the tools that you need to complete the framing for your window openings.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I’m here to help.

Thanks again for joining the Community.    

Posted 2011-04-29T20:18:48+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+