Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

laminate floor

can I install 7mm laminate flooring over 4/8 sheets partical board one of my partical board is 1/16 of an inch higher than rest
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-16T10:15:05+0000  by charlin59 charlin59

Flooring manufacturers have a specification for how flat (the difference between the highest point and the lowest point) the subfloor must be, usually specified as X of an inch within any Y feet.  Without knowing exactly what brand of flooring you are considering I can't say with 100% certainty but often it is 3/16" within any 10 feet.  Obviously 1/16" is considerably less than that so I think you should be ok.

If you haven't installed laminate flooring before, I would strongly recommend carefully reading the instructions.  If you need clarification or any other kind of help, ask before you start cutting any laying your flooring.
Posted 2015-04-16T13:24:38+0000  by Adam444
Hi charlin59!

Seven millimeter laminates, like TrafficMaster, typically install as floating or glue down.

These sectional floors do not require underlayment and install over cement or wood subfloor.

Planks often have square edges as well.

When considering your project, I would be concerned that the square edges of floating 7mm laminate might catch and/or bow-up against the 1/16-inch ridge in your subfloor.

If your floor were glued down, I would be less concerned about bowing.

However, once installed, you're likely to see the ridge beneath the floor whether you glue-down or float the floor.

Correcting this obvious flaw might be your best course of action.

Ask your local Flooring Associate for help leveling or removing the 1/16-inch ridge.

You'll be much happier with the appearance and your floor will last much longer.
Posted 2015-05-07T13:12:39+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+