Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

laminate kitchen countertops replacement

I want to replace my u-shape laminate kitchen countertops. What's the going trend? Is using preformed countertops with 45 degrees already cut OK? I suspect having a cabinet shop fabricate a large u-shaped countertops would be quite costly but I may do that if exposed seams are definitely a bad idea. Thanks for your input.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-08T23:30:52+0000  by Fishin Fishin

Hello Fishin and thank you for joining our discussions!

I have several suggestions for you and your U-shaped kitchen.

1. Our Installing a Laminate Countertop Project Guide shows to install the countertops yourself.  This will require some time, some skill, some patience, and some help to get all the surfaces in place, glued, leveled, and secured.  Then you would need to install / reinstall the sink, faucet, disposal, and appliances.  You should plan on a minimum of 1-2 days to remove the old countertop, inspect the tops of your existing cabinets, install the new countertops, and replace your fixtures. 

2. As for fabrication, you most likely will need 2 if not 3 pieces for your U-shaped work surface (depending upon the dimensions).  You may want to get an estimate from your local Home Depot store.  Our Kitchen Designers can create an estimate for you using your initial measurements.  Our How to Measure a Countertop video shows what you will need to measure and how to do it.   Use the Countertop Project Estimation Worksheet to draw your existing countertop and take notes.  Photos from your cell phone can also add valuable information.   You will have hundreds of laminate colors and patterns available and may find that having an installer replace your countertops and fixtures will save you time and energy in the long run.

Best wishes with your project!

dw2.png

Posted 2012-05-10T15:59:37+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+