Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

landscape lighting question

I have 2 separate runs of landscape wiring I have ran.  They are close enough to where I can connect the 2 if needed, they basically meet right in front of the transformer.  I am wondering if I do merge the 2 wires 16 gauge and 12 gauge will there be any issues.  Another option would be to potentially wire them together from the transformer?  Any assist would be much appreciated.  I am hoping to have to avoid buying a "matching" gauge of wire if I can avoid it.   There is plenty of power, that isn't the issue.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-04T18:56:49+0000  by michaelsboehm michaelsboehm

Howdy michaelsboehm,

I can't recall ever seeing mixed gauges of wire used before, however, the good news is if you have wire that meets or exceeds the specifications needed.  Here is some information to help you in your lighting questions.

1. Determine your total wattage for each wire run by adding up all the individual bulb wattages. Do this separately for each wire run from the transformer.
  2. Measure the total length of each wire run. Do this separately for each wire run from the transformer.
  3. Multiply the Total Wattage x Total Length of cable. Do this separately for each wire run from the transformer.
    • If the total is 10,000 or less: Use 12 gauge cable
    • If the total is 10,001 to 15,000: Use 10 gauge cable
    • If the total is 15,001 to 25,000: Use 8 gauge cable
    • If the total exceeds 25,000: split the run into 2 runs and recalculate.

This method is only a basic guide to determine which wire size you should use. For a more accurate method of determining which wire size you should use, you should actually calculate the voltage drop for each wire run.

Hopefully this answers your questions. 

happy lighting,
Coach Dave
Posted 2018-04-05T23:01:45+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Hello michaelsboehm.

Since your total power requirements are not a problem, then the only issue is to make sure that each of the 2 wires can handle the amperage/wattage you make them carry.  Having a 16 gauge wire that is not overtaxed and a 12 gauge wire that is also not overtaxed is all you need.  The fact that they are different gauges does not matter.

Chris.

Posted 2018-04-06T14:41:23+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+