Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

lawn care

Hi my name is Harold Carr last year I used a weed killer that was recommended by a homestead employee. This my lawn last year was beautiful this year it is nothing but weeds. What is the problem with my lawn, and how can I fix it what grass seed weed killer do I use?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-03T15:20:56+0000  by HaroldDCarr HaroldDCarr

Hi Harold and welcome,

If you would like to try to salvage what is left of last year’s lawn, or attempt to do that. I would try to use a broad leaf weed killer 2 to 3 times on your existing lawn to see how much of your lawn you have left. Then just use a well balanced fertilizer for the rest of the year.

You may actually have a nice lawn underneath. If you do you can use a pre-emergent lawn weed preventer like Preen or Scotts halts next spring to keep down the weeds down from then on. If you decide to do this you cannot reseed then.

preen.jpg

If you decide to start from scratch after seeing there is not enough lawn to keep, you will have to spray roundup at least 3 weeks in a row [one time a week ]to kill all of the grass/weeds that are there, then add soil amendments at the rate of one bag per 100 square feet and Rototill in.

roundup.jpgrototiller.jpg

Add your seed as directed on the bag for your square footage [10x10=100 square feet] and seed cover at the recommended rate, usually one bag per100 square feet also.

Water at the rate of 5 minutes 3x a day for the first week, 10 minutes 2x a day for the second week, and 15 minutes every day for the third week, gradually go to every other day for 15 minutes to once a week for 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get the roots down to where they need to be to survive the summer heat.

Once you have mowed your lawn 3 times it is time for a regular fertilizer, choosing one that has all 3 ingredients [n-nitrogen, p-phosphorus, and p-potassium] to keep your lawn healthy and strong.

Starter_fert.jpg

I hope this helps, let us know how you are doing,

Gardengail

Posted 2011-05-04T17:05:04+0000  by Gail_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+