Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

lawn care

Need help. Top quarter of lawn always dead.  Rest of lawn okay.  No amount of water helps.   Is it grubs?  Why only that spot? Too late to apply anti grub?  What else should I apply?  I have not applied lime since we moved in six years ago.  Should we do something this fall?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-09-01T14:14:47+0000  by kproulx kproulx

Hey kproulx.

Looking at your other posts, I see you live in Massachusetts. If the top quarter of the lawn is on the top of a hill then it will not stay as moist as the bottom of the yard, for the water will wash to the lower part of the yard. DARN YOU GRAVITY!

I would recommend putting down an Insecticide, for it will kill the grubs that could be eating the roots of your grass and it can prevent the Moles from showing up that love to eat grubs.

It does sound like the problem is the soil pH. When a lawns soil pH is acidic, the roots of the grass can not absorb the available nutrients in the soil, which makes fertilizer show little to no results when applied. It is common in Mass. to put down lime, for soil there is acidic and requires lime periodically. I think the top quarter is dealing with the lime problem but also dealing with less water.

If you are needing to reseed your upper lawn area then it is getting to be an ideal time for that. Swing by the store and let my guys there get you hooked up with a good blend of Perennial Rye and Kentucky Bluegrass. This will be a great blend for high foot traffic and it will help repair its self  in tough times.

Thanks for returning to the community with your questions and hit me up if you have any other questions.

Posted 2011-09-01T15:48:05+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+