Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Answered

laying pavers over concrete

I have a concrete back porch that I would like to lay pavers over. Can this be done without creating a drainage issue under the pavers? Should I use a sand base or secure the pavers to the concrete?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-23T16:46:09+0000  by canyongirl canyongirl

I did it!

Best Answer

Posted 2011-06-22T15:14:42+0000  by canyongirl

Unless you plan on laying another concrete slab adjacent to the old concrete patio, I would advise against laying brick on even properly prepared undisturbed soil (compacted crushed stone with a bed of sand on top on which the pavers rest). The pavers on the added patio area will never settle at the same rate as the old stable base and the difference WILL eventually be noticeable. 

If you are adding an area for something like a barbecue or conversation area, then create a link to the new area with some stepping stones laid on the ground or a gravel path between your old patio and the new. Use different but complimentary pavers or just use crushed granite or pea gravel for the flooring.

Posted 2014-01-20T17:15:37+0000  by denman

I am considering laying pavers over a concrete patio and have a question regarding the condiiton.  Should I be concerend about a 30 years old ppatio with cracks about 1/4" that have been there for about 29 years?

Posted 2013-06-21T16:34:21+0000  by stano54

Here's a question about this topic that came to us on the Apron blog.

Mark Davis asks:

"I’d like my paver patio larger than my existing concrete pad. What’s the best way to prep the current grassy area to make sure my pavers all line up?"

That sounds tricky... laying pavers over concrete AND grass. How does Mark keep everything even?

Posted 2013-03-08T23:13:09+0000  by HomeDepotCraig

I'm planning on doing a similar project in a couple weeks. With pavers on top of the concrete slab, the edge will be about 4 inches tall - what's the best way to edge the patio so the pavers don't slip off (treated wood? vertical pavers?)?

Posted 2012-05-17T15:35:44+0000  by KG2

I have a slightly different issue. I already have pavers over a concrete pad off my front door. But over the years, that concrete pad has chipped away and recently, the pavers along the front edge started to give way. I started to take the pavers up and found that the concrete pad is chipping and degrading away badly. Do I need to replace the pad entirely or is there a product I can use to reform the pad before relaying the pavers down ?? And is it something a novice can do for his first time ???

Paul

Posted 2011-07-25T02:19:04+0000  by NewDIY3r

Hey canyongirl, I just wanted to compliment you on a job well done! What a great transformation from an old concrete slab!

Thanks so much for sharing your pic!

-Blake

Posted 2011-06-22T23:51:19+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Greetings and welcome to our community!

My name is Tom, known as HD 116 here, and I saw your reply.

Actually, a slight slope toward the canyon is preferable as adequate drainage is very important. I personally, would not do any leveling unless the slope was severe or in the event that the slope was going toward the house.

Good luck with your project and we here would love to see photos of the results.

Posted 2011-02-24T17:51:44+0000  by HD116

Everything sounds good with the exception of the level surface. I live on the edge of a canyon and over the years that the house has been there, the porch has lost being level. It tends to slope towards the yard some.  If I level it, it will take more than a thin layer of concrete. Can it be leveled by graduating the height of the gravel bed?

Posted 2011-02-23T21:00:36+0000  by canyongirl

Hey Canyongirl,

to answer your question Yes, pavers can be laid over concrete and sounds like you have the right idea as far as drainage is concerned.

To start things off its important to make sure that the existing porch is level and in relatively good shape.  Dependent upon the condition of the patio, it may be best to lay a thin layer of concrete to patch and level before applying your gravel/bedding sand. The gravel/bedding sand is used to allow for drainage, settling, and the expansion and contraction of the bricks.

Your next step would then be to install your edge restraint and secure it so that it will hold when the pavers are installed. Once you have your general design laid out be sure the added height won’t cause any clearance issues with doors or windows and you are almost ready to lay the pavers.  Using a good compactor/tamper be sure to lay around a half inch of gravel and at least an inch of bedding sand over your layer of gravel(being it’s on a pretty sturdy base the size of this gravel layer isn’t very critical.)For a light duty area like you have and compact it as much as possible and as level as possible. Once the bricks are all laid out it is time to again compact them into place and level them all out, finish this step with a few applications of sweeping sand to fill the joints of the pavers and your pretty much finished.

Some people will go about this job without using the gravel but it is an important step to take being it will drain better than just the sand and when compacted will make for a longer lasting more durable surface. Good luck with your project got any other questions on procedure or looking for a step by step how to let us know.

Posted 2011-02-23T19:42:36+0000  by HDwetPaint

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+