Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

maytag side-by-side not cooling or freezing properly. Huge Ice Ball in Freezer. How do I fix?

im not an expert. im not going to call a plumber or  service man pronto.

but i will TRY and fix it myself.

can someone please tell me?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-11T01:10:49+0000  by kpeterson kpeterson

Try applianceblog.com.  Good folks, I've used them myself several times.  In your message, make sure you include the model and serial number of your fridge although with a clear description of the problem.

Posted 2013-07-11T01:47:47+0000  by Adam444

Hi Kpeterson,

Your symptoms sounds like the classic case of a defective auto defrost system.

When the auto defrost system fails, the freezer becomes caked with ice and the vents sending air from the freezer to the refrigerator side become blocked and cold air is cut off from the refrigerator side making the refrigerator side warm.

You did not indicate how old your refrigerator is, as refrigerators age the compressor wears out and the

refrigerant begins to escape the system reducing the cooling capacity.

Here are a few things to check.

Are the controls set properly?  Having the controls set too high overworks the system and can actually reduce the level of cooling.

Are the gaskets on the doors in good condition? Leaking gaskets will allow warm are to enter the refrigerator.

Is the refrigerator overloaded? Too many items in the refrigerator will block or reduce air flow and

cooling. All those items tax the system as it tries to maintain an even temperature.

If none of these maintenance checks help, you might consider buying a new refrigerator. Most refrigerators last 8-12 years before they need major repairs

I hope these ideas help solve your problem.

Mike, The Home Depot Answer Man

Posted 2013-07-15T20:34:11+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+