Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

minwax stain used

I purchased Minwax Stain red Mahog. on my wood floors. I was told that  this was a product that I need not stain. My floors were clean etc, my problem is that it is now sticky. and in places it is still light and darker in area, what do I do?

Do I need to add a clear,poly, or shillac on top.

Pleas advise what to do. The floors looks nice and shiny. the spots that are dry I touched and it was not sticky but had like a hand print on dusted furniture? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-23T13:48:26+0000  by Fortysgurl Fortysgurl

Hello Fortysgurl,

Stain is designed to absorb into the wood, and so the first step would require removing the entire finish from the surface of the wood.

This may be done by either sanding or stripping.

My preference is sanding and then completely removing the sanding dust.

Finish strippers will do the job, but you and your family will be exposed to caustic chemicals and you'll have to completely remove the residue before staining.

Once the wood is exposed, wear shoe covers to prevent staining the wood with grass or soil residue on your shoes.

Brush or rag an even coat of stain over the entire surface, allow it to absorb for about 30-minutes and then wipe off the excess with a terry towel.

Change towels often.

If the color needs to be darkened, follow the same process again.

Once the color is dark enough, allow to dry overnight and then apply at least two coats of polyurethane.

Polyurethane protects the wood and the color.

However, be certain to replace the felt feet on the legs of your table, chairs, and other furniture.

Your coating should last for years to come.

Top Coating:

This is known as Top Coating.
Posted 2015-04-23T16:13:53+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+