Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

mounting a 30lb speaker

Hello I have a question about mounting hardware.

I have a 30lb speaker that came with a built in keyhole mount and a few 2.5 inch wood screws. I have 2 Lally columns surrounded by 1.5 inches thick of wood on each side. I would like to mount it on a Lally column. Obviously the 2.5 inch wood screw won't work. Is there anything else I can use for this to hang the 30lb speaker while keeping it secure and using the built in keyhole mounts?

Thanks
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-26T23:37:24+0000  by Zero83 Zero83

It would kind of depend on how your column is framed and where the keyhole is on the speaker.  Is the column wrapped with drywall?  If so, you're probably have a horizontal piece of lumber at the top, bottom, and roughly midway.  For that kind of weight you're going to want to make sure you're hitting solid wood.  I'd use a #12 sheet metal screw (they have a flat head) about 2" long (the drywall is 1/2" thick).

There are also super heavy duty hollow wall anchors but you may not have enough clearance between the drywall and the column to use one. 

If I'm missing something, maybe you could post a couple of pictures?

Posted 2015-07-27T09:52:33+0000  by Adam444
The wood surrounding the column is only 1/2 inch think. I apologize I misspoke. But it is all wood surrounding it
Posted 2015-07-27T11:45:47+0000  by Zero83
Zero83,

I have a couple of thoughts but need to ask you a couple of questions.  Is this a square box around the column and if so, how big is the box?  Do you know how it was constructed?  Or is this one of those "wrap" type coverings where narrow strips of wood are attached to a flexible backing?
Posted 2015-07-28T09:35:41+0000  by Adam444
Hey Zero83,

Hardware provided doesn't always match unique situations like yours.

I would consider moving away from the idea of inserting the 2.5-inch wood screws into the 1/2-inch wood on the column.

Instead, move toward a pair of these 50-pound padded hangers.

This hanger will secure into the 1/2-inch wood, is padded to prevent damage to the column, and provides more than enough weight support to handle your 30-pound speaker.

As mentioned above, I recommend using two for stability ... and to help by sharing the load.
Posted 2015-07-30T17:17:12+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+