Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

my basement exterior wall seems to be disintegrating.

my basement exterior wall seems to be disintegrating. we bought the house about 18 years ago. there is an attached garage on the exterior of this wall that is sloped towards the house. i put in a trench drain about four years ago that keeps water from getting to the wall anymore. is this disitegration spalling? every six months or so i have to vacuum up a pile of fine powder on the floor and the wall is looking bad. what can i do to stop this problem?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-28T19:39:01+0000  by knob2962 knob2962

Kob2969,

It sounds as if your wall is experiencing effervecence, which is the leeching of some of the alkaline lime from the masonry. You don't state whether this is a poured concrete , block or brick.wall. You are one the right track by diverting water from the garage next door. Does that garage have gutters too?

Neutralizing the wall with an acid solution and then painting it with DryLoc or Behr concrete foundation paint would help stabilize this condition. These paints will only suppress moisture if the concrete has not been painted or sealed before. They must penetrate deep into the pores of the concrete to be effective. Home Depot sells both the DryLoc paint and acid crystals for cleaning.

Spaling is the severe deterioration and breaking off of the surface of concrete. it is most associated with the freeze thaw cycle in cold climates where the moisture in concrete freezes near the surface and pops off little craters in the surface of the concrete.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-09-29T00:23:22+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+