Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

my cedar fence is bleeding, can I paint over it?

old cedar fence seems to be bleeding.  I want to paint it white. what do I need to do to prep it?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-04-13T13:02:26+0000  by momsfixerupper momsfixerupper

Hi momsfixerupper,

Tannin and natural cedar oil often bleed from cedar planks.

Prep the fence by cleaning with Behr All-In-One, a solution that contains diluted oxalic acid.

Apply with a pump sprayer or a pole-mounted scrub brush and allow to work for only ten-minutes.

There is no high pressure required for the rinse, so have your garden hose ready and do not allow the solution to dry on the boards.

After the rinse dries about six-hours, use oil-based primer to seal the natural oils.

Your primer will dry in one-hours and you're ready to paint.

On the primer label, the manufacturer says, "Use any topcoat."

So, work with your local Paint Associate to select exterior paint in your sheen of choice.

NOTE:
Both your primer and your paint may be sprayed, brushed, or rolled.
Posted 2016-04-13T14:04:59+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Kilz Premium Water Based Primer will stop tannin bleed through provided 24 hours of dry time is allowed before applying the finish coat of water based paint or stain. I personally prefer Behr's Solid Hide Stain due to its lighter viscosity. It tends to hide the rough cut texture of the cedar less, assuming that your fence is rough sawn.

Behr Ultra House Paint will also suppress tannin bleed through, again with the proviso that 24 hours of drying time be given between coats. Old school doubting Thomas that I am, I tested this out several years ago when we first got the Ultra Exterior. The first coat allows some reddish discoloration, but after 24 hours of drying of the first coat, the second coat remained bright white when dry!
Posted 2016-04-13T19:12:10+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+