Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

natural marble kitchen countertop - how to bond seam?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-13T15:01:58+0000  by GrammieVi GrammieVi

Hello GrammieVi and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here.

Congratulations on the new marble kitchen countertop! I am sure that it is beautiful.

Just confirm, do you want to fill the seam or bond the seam between two pieces of marble?  To fill the seam, you can use a clear silicone (also look at “white” for color matching) to fill the space between pieces. 

If you want to bond the seam (i.e., attach the pieces in a permanent bond), I suggest that you contact your fabricator for the best product depending upon the source and variety of your marble. 

The Marble Institute of America (MIA) lists the most common filler materials as polyester resin, epoxy resin and elastomeric sealant (silicon, polyurethane, or acrylic bases).  The Chart on Page 8 of the Residential Stone Countertop Installation Guide shows the advantages and disadvantages of various seam filler materials.  The MIA Care and Cleaning guidelines also provide a great resource for maintaining your beautiful new marble countertop.

Best wishes on your project.  

Posted 2013-12-13T16:14:26+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

We assume - bond AND fill.  There will be a 3" seam behind the faucet;  and another the same depth as the counter.  Is there a product that will do both or do we need to bond w/an epoxy;  then when it's cured fill the crack with a specific caulk?

Posted 2013-12-13T19:46:17+0000  by GrammieVi

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+