Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

need to remove grease from walls before I prime it?

i am trying to clean the grease from were the stove is before i prime and paint it. what should i use to remove the grease?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-17T20:49:45+0000  by sycamore751 sycamore751

Hi sycamore751,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

I just finished a complete gut and remodel of my kitchen.  The ceilings had a number of years of cooking grease on them.  I found that using the TSP and a Roller mop worked out very nicely.  It took a number of passes to get the ceiling & walls as clean as I wanted it, but it was worth it. Remember that when doing any painting project, preparation is the key!!!

For very heavily used area, Simple Green makes a “Heavy-Duty-Cleaner” for those tough areas.  Once applied, be sure to rinse several times to remove and of the residue left by the cleaner. 

Rinse your roller mop out completely between each washing of the ceiling and wall.  Do not dip back into the clean cleaning solution with a dirty mop!

Have fun with your painting project and be sure to share you experience with us in our Project Library.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2014-01-17T22:36:46+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

When washing large areas, I preferred to load up a pressurized garden sprayer with the hot TSP solution. A strong TSP solution is quite harsh. Use of the sprayer allowed for the application of the solution without having to wear gloves and stick ones hands directly in the solution. A bucket of clean, cool water was used to rinse the walls.

Rinsing of TSP when washing greasy walls is especially  importlant. Hot phosphates ( the P in TSP ) and grease makes something akin to great grandma's lye soap. If the wall is not rinsed, you will be painting over a thin residue layer of soap!

Posted 2014-01-18T06:16:45+0000  by ordjen

Hello sycamore751!

Warm TSP is a very good suggestion!

Another option is a spritz of Krud Kutter and a roll of paper towels.

Krud Kutter is an all-purpose cleaner that easily removes grease and dirt.

It doesn't contain harsh solvents and is color-fast, so I even use it in the carpet cleaner.

I keep a bottle on-hand under my sink.

Posted 2014-01-21T16:28:25+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+