Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

new flooring install over existing vinyl sheet good

I have sheet goods over concrete existing, and would like to upgrade to ceramic or porcelain tile. How much work is involved in removing the existing sheet good, has been down for 15 years. Can tile backer be installed over existing vinyl flooring?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-04-18T14:14:58+0000  by jackgray jackgray

Hey jackgray,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

With any glue-down flooring, you'll never know what is underneath until you at least attempt to remove a small area of it first.

Only then you can see what you are up against.

Since you know the floor has been down for 15 years, you are most likely not having to worry about the presence of asbestos. However, only remove the vinyl flooring if you are absolutely sure it is that old. Most floors that are 30 years or more will have a chance of containing asbestos in it. 

If that's the case, you'll need to contact an abatement company who can safely remove it for you.

With that caution out of the way.....can you install backerboard over the vinyl?

In short, no. Once the vinyl flooring (this includes the glue as well) is successfully removed, then you can install ceramic/porcelain tiles directly over the concrete.

Tile backerboard is really only used over wooden subfloors to prevent water from damaging it. 

Since you have a cement based subfloor, this isn't needed...unless you either want to do unneeded work or the subfloor is extremely uneven.

Just make sure the subfloor is sealed before you install your tiles via thin-set mortar. While I realize its more work now to remove the existing vinyl flooring, your new ceramic/porcelain tiles will last a very long time if you do this.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-04-18T15:32:41+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+