Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

newly installed crumbling polyblend sanded grout

VERY frustrated!!!!!!!!!!

I installed about 1500 sf of porcelain tile on concrete slab and used the polyblend sanded grout for the grouting.  I followed the instruction explicitly but after a month or two I noticed it starting to crumble away.  I could literally scratch it out with my fingernail.  No cracks, just turned to powder.  All the tiles were snug and not loose anywhere either.  I figured I must have made a mistake during the mixing process, and as I had a few bags left over I proceeded to remove ALL of the grout to reinstall.

Making absolutely sure every step was followed verbatim per the instructions, I reinstalled the grout only to have the exact same thing happen!!!  IT WAS NOT the installation process that was the mistake.  It was the grout!!!  I figured I had gotten a bad batch or something.  I didnt have time to spend another few weeks redoing the floor AGAIN so I just left if for a few years and endured the nasty unsightly grout on my new expensive tile until I had the time to redo it.

Well, third times a charm right?!!!  Over the winter break I removed just about all the grout AGAIN and bought some new bags of polyblend grout to do the job.  I waited the recommended 3 days and sealed, that was yesterday.  I went to an inconspicuous area to test the strength and with my fingernail was able to gouge a nice hole in the grout.  This is absolute BS!  If you value your time, energy and sanity DO NOT BUY POLYBLEND sanded grout!!!!  Its garbage and just expensive sand!!!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-09T18:49:34+0000  by sidneyhop sidneyhop

Hello sidneyhop,

Thank you for joining us here on the community and giving us your input on Polyblend grout. 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience not once, but three times with the failure. One question that consistently popped into my head while reading this was what was the width spacing you used on your tiles?

If you used the sanded grout on an 1/8" or narrower, then therein lies your problem. Sanded grout only can work on joints at 1/8" or wider. Of course, if you have followed that guideline, then something else can be the culprit.

I've worked in flooring and with Polyblend grout by Custom Building Materials for a very long time. Since you've followed directions as you've stated, the only hidden factors I can think of is in possibly how you installed it or the quality of water that was mixed into the grout for the correct consistency.

I'm not saying to use bottled water or are disagreeing with you in how you installed the grout, I'm just getting to the bottom of this so no matter what new brand you choose will not do the same problems.

If you can tell us how  you mixed it, if you used a rated grout float, and let it cure in a reasonable amount of time and temperature, then we can get to the bottom of this. In the meantime, I'm not dissuading you from choosing another brand or going with another type of grout. 

Throughout the years of selling grout, regardless of brand, rare issues like yours came up when either it was mixed improperly, done with high humidity or extreme temperature, or was installed improperly. Let us know exactly how you did it, and we can set this straight so history doesn't repeat itself. If you would like to contact the manufacturer of Polyblend, Custom Building Materials, you can at 800-272-8786

Keep us updated on everything. This type of failure rarely happens with grout if done correctly, so I'd like to hear back from you. 
Posted 2017-01-09T22:59:37+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+