Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

paint over tile board panels

I have a basement bathroom and we recently put in a new tile shower. I would like to paint over the tile board panels that cover every wall in the bathroom-not surehow to go about preparing the tile board, if i need to primer it and what  kind of paint to use. The tile board is in good shape-it is just very white and plain and does not look right with the new shower.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-12-29T21:25:02+0000  by traceyg traceyg

Great suggestion Mr. Jay, using a bonding primer is the definet way to go. The gripper works well, and I've also had lots of experience using Zinsser 1-2-3 primer on hard to stick surfaces like paneling and it works great!

Posted 2012-01-13T05:40:44+0000  by mgonzo

Hey there traceyg,

Thanks for joining our community, glad to have you with us!~ = )

Congratulations on your new shower install; let's see if we can get this project wrapped up for you with new tile board walls now.

With most paint projects, the primer is the key, and this project is no different. My friend and colleague PaintPro helped another user awhile back with their own painting project. Now while this particular user was asking about shower paneling in general, the steps are going to be the same for working with your tile board. You can view his solution in the topic, Painting bathroom shower paneling or I'll also briefly touch on the points here as well.

• Primer is key here. After making sure that you've roughed the surface up, be sure to apply a good primer for maximum adhesion. I'm a big fan of the Gripper Primer by Glidden. It sticks to just about anything and it sticks quite well!
GliddenGripperPrimer.png

• A good roller will go a long way to give you a good finish. Consider using a foam roller like this High Density Foam Roller to give you the smoothest finish possible.
ultrasmoothrollers.png

• An oil-based top coat will be your best bet for maximum durability. On your next trip into your local store, stop by the paint counter and let them know you're looking for an oil-based to be tinted, and they'll show you the options available.

See? I told you it would definitely be do-able!~ If you have any other questions about the project, feel free to reply back. And if possible, post up some before and after pictures of the project; we'd love to see how it turns out! = )

Posted 2011-12-30T15:19:51+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+