Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

painting a bedroom

i want to paint my kids bedroom camoflage.  is sponging the best tech or could anyone sugest something different.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-01T15:03:28+0000  by sonyast sonyast

Welcome sonyast!

My name is Christine, and I’ll be helping you out with your AWESOME paint project today!

What a wonderful idea for your kids’ bedroom! They will definitely have the coolest room in the neighborhood!

You won’t believe this, but I have actually done something similar to this. Last year for Christmas, as a present, I spray painted a camouflage apron. I bought a camouflage spray paint kit from a craft store and it worked beautifully.  Since you are painting a room, I would not recommend doing exactly what I did, but the same idea will easily translate into something that will work for you.

As with any paint project, picking the right colors is the first part. For camouflage you will probably want to pick 4 colors. Typical camouflage colors would be brown, khaki, dark green and a lighter green. Just as a reference (I do not recommend using spray paint) Rust-Oleum sells a line of camouflage spray paint.

Here are the colors that they have.

camopaint.JPG

After you have picked out your colors, here is where the fun begins!

At The Home Depot we carry a few paint sprayers that would work for you. You may be thinking to yourself, “Christine, you just said that you don’t recommended using spray paint. What’s the difference?” Well, there are a few differences. First off, spraying spray paint inside is never recommended. If you do that, you will become very lightheaded rather quickly (believe me, I speak from experience). So, do yourself a favor and have your paint mixed and then pour it into your sprayer. Not to mention you will go through a lot of cans of spray paint.  

Here are some sprayers that would work well for you:

wagneroptiumsprojectsprayer.jpg

This is the Wagner Optimus Project Sprayer and here is the link that explains how to use it and its advantages.

ryobipowersprayer.jpg

This is the Ryobi Power Speed Sprayer. Click here to look at the specs on this one.

Before you begin, you will want to prime the walls with a grey primer.

Then, the fun begins! It’s really up to you on how you want to achieve your camouflage pattern. I would recommend spraying randomly throughout the room. This will give it a feeling of a true camouflage pattern.

Here are a few tips:

-       First off, make sure you take out as much furniture as possible, and then lay down a drop cloth. While spraying is fun, it is quite messy. Make sure to also protect yourself with goggles, gloves, a spray sock (for your noggin) and coveralls.

-       You may want to practice on a piece of poster board before you begin. This way you will have a feel for how the sprayer works and what kind of pattern you are going for.

I hope this was helpful for you! Please post pictures of your finished room, I would love to see it!

Let me know if I can help with anything else,

Christine 

Posted 2010-12-01T17:30:06+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Greetings!

First of all thanks to Christine for an awesome post! She is one of Home Depots treasures. I simply wanted to add another option to her suggestions. It is a disposable sprayer that is available in the paint department from Preval. It features a power unit and a clear jar with cap that will hold up to 16 oz. of paint (depending on viscosity). The power heads are replaced once depleted of their gas, and the jars are very easy to clean. The two are sold separately and look like this;

preval paint spray gun kit

Just another option for you to consider, and we look forward to hearing how this project turns out. Welcome to the community and Happy Holidays.

Posted 2010-12-02T14:29:49+0000  by HD116

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+