Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

painting exterior smooth staco

my painter wants to charge me 5000 to paint a 2200 sq feet smooth stocao all flat easy walls for my house how easy is it to do it myself 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-13T22:52:29+0000  by s281er238 s281er238

Hello s281er238!

If you DIY other home improvements, painting exterior stucco should be relatively easy.

Behr Masonry, Stucco and Brick Paint.jpg Behr manufacturers self-priming stucco paint in two sheens: flat and satin.

If your existing stucco does not reflect light at all, it is flat. If you see light reflecting off the surface, it is satin.

Your color can be re-created by color matching or comparing your color to the stucco paint color chart. If you color match, you'll need to bring a sample the size of a quarter to your Paint Associate.

These products can be sprayed, rolled, or brushed. Your Tool Rental department can rent you a sprayer that will speed up the process or you can use a one-half inch nap roller combined with a brush to hand-paint the surface.

If you spray, plan to use a metal cut-in shield to prevent overspray in transition areas where trim frames windows and doors (if your home is that style).

If your home is one floor tall, you'll probably be able to reach most of the surfaces with an A-frame ladder or an extension ladder. If more than one floor tall, you'll want to consider either scaffolding or a lift.

Based upon your estimate of 2,200 square feet of stucco, you'll need about six gallons per coat.

Finally, before you paint, be certain to clean your stucco surface with a stucco-safe outdoor cleaner that will kill mildew and remove mildew stains. You will also want to caulk any seams or cracks with elastomeric caulk and follow the dry-time instructions on the tube before you paint.

I have said this to several Community Members, the cost of materials is usually about 15 percent and the cost of labor is usually about 85 percent. Do It Yourself and apply the $4,400 savings to another upgrade for your home. The savings plus the satisfaction you get is what makes DIY a worthy investment almost everytime.

PROJECT ESTIMATE: Costs vary by market, but I would expect to spend between $450 and $600 to prep and paint two coats on your 2,200 square feet of stucco. If one coat completes the job, expect to spend about $135 less.

NOTE: Personally, I instruct customers several times a week on the use of paint sprayers. I like these tools for mid-size to large projects just like yours. The time you save is well worth the small additional cost and most beginners pick up the technique very quickly. Begin on a back corner of your building and by the time you reach the highly visible areas, you'll have mastered the technique.

Posted 2012-06-14T14:24:33+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

s281er238,

Catchy name!  Did you have a former life as a cryptographer?  :)

Seriously, you might want to get a couple other bids from other reputable contractors, should you decide not to do it yourself. Every job is different and I am shooting blind, but it sounds as if the bid might be on the high side. The only way to know is get other bids.

If your house is clad in true stucco, which has not be painted, you might want to consider having a fresh coat of stucco top coating put on. Stucco is a cement based product which is very durable in itself. It also allows the house to breathe.The wash coat of stucco can be tinted, just as are paints.

My wife is German and every time we go back to Germany, I am amazed at how great century out homes can look with a new coat of stucco. It is also the perfect opportunity to chisel out old cracks, blending in the new stucco texture to be virtually invisible.

Posted 2012-06-15T05:19:42+0000  by ordjen

I'd second ordjen's recommendations for more estimates. In South Florida, for a single story dwelling with 2200 square feet of paint surface, you'd be looking around $3300 - $3800 for painting.

Posted 2012-06-17T15:26:39+0000  by Paul

Hello Again s281er238!

Your thread demonstrates exactly why The Community was created!

Two of our very best members, Ordjen and Paul, sharing their extensive experience to help improve your project ... one from Oregon and the other from South Florida.

We're lucky to have these guys sharing their years of experience and product knowledge!

Follow up and let us know if you need additional details and/or how you chose to proceed.

Posted 2012-06-19T13:57:31+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Lol, it looks like I am not the only person who is not willing to pay this much. My local contractor said they would charge me pretty much the same. So, I have done lots of reading lately on the subject. There seem to be lots of interesting step by step tutorials on ehow. Here is one of them. Yeah, that is because you first need to repair it before you undergo any painting. Otherwise the paint won't hold onto the stucco's surface. Good luck and do let us know how it goes. I might need to do it myself pretty soon!

Posted 2012-10-25T17:08:24+0000  by jamesPatersonn
If you like this thread, you may also like:

How To Faux Exterior Doors

Posted 2015-10-08T22:35:02+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+