Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

painting formica countertops

Please help me figure out what i need to paint my formica countertops

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-10T20:20:53+0000  by audriabaker audriabaker

Hello Scarter!

I am not certain which product you were shown, but I believe it might have been Rustoleum Countertop Coating.

Click the link and you will see the manufacturer's fact sheet. Also included on that page is a link that allows you to "View Product Demo."

Manufacturers research, test, and develop product installation instructions to ensure that DIYers, like you, have the best chance of success.

I cannot address "efficacy."

But if you have detailed technical questions, I would strongly recommend you contact Rustoleum Technical Support before beginning your install.

Their number is 877-385-8155.

Posted 2011-04-28T17:07:32+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I was in Home Depot Yesterday and was shown paint specifically for Formica counter tops. I comes in stainless steel, and can be tinted one of several colors. The new product claims no priming needed..Has this product been rated and or tested?

This product would solve a major problem for me and save me the cost of all new counter tops. PLease Home Depot can you provide assurances as to the efficacy and durability of this new product.

Posted 2011-04-13T13:58:04+0000  by Scarter

Hello AudriaBaker!

Glad you joined us on the Community!

Most DIYers know that there are several ways to solve any problem. Commonly, I refer to these alternatives as "Old School" and "New School," but there are usually many schools (or solutions) in between.

What Mike has described for you is the Old School way to refinish countertops. His steps give you the "tried and true" methodology developed through years of application.

I am tagging on to his answer to bring your attention to a New School method of changing your countertops ... 

Rustoleum Countertop Coating.

This product is designed for DIYers and will give you simple instructions to refinish your countertops. The solvent in the "Coating" is Xylene, so be sure to ventilate the room before you open the can.

Use a high density foam roller to apply the new coating and pay particular attention to keep the roller "wet" with product. Rolling the surface as it dries or with a dry roller will result in grainy pick up on your repaired surface. So, apply a generous coat and allow it to dry as instructed on the package ... three days before regular use.

You'll usually find this product near the spray paints, so ask you local Paint Associate if you need help. Like most food preparation surfaces, you will want to prevent direct contact with "hot" pots and pans.

Finally, there is what I call "The Really Old School Approach" ... removing the old and installing new countertops is not that difficult and not that expensive using ready-made counter sections from the Store. A Kitchen and Bath Associate can show you these options.

Posted 2011-01-13T19:10:06+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hi Audria, this Mike The Home Depot Answer Man, welcome to the community.

Painting Formica counter tops is a great way to update the look of your kitchen and is a lot less expense than replacing them.  Let’s take a look at what you will need to get started.

You will need sand paper, a roller and or brush, paint tray, masking tape and drop cloths, gloves, solvent or cleaner, a sponge, a bucket and of course the primer and paint.

First you will need to rough up the surface by sanding it with 150 or 180 grit sand paper. This will take off the shine and make for good adhesion of the primer and paint.

The next step is to thoroughly clean the countertop to remove any sanding residue grease or soil.  Use a good quality household cleaner such as Simple Green or Fantastic. Some folks recommend using lacquer thinner or acetone.  These are effective, but be sure there are no gas pilot lights burning and make sure the area is well ventilated when using these cleaners.  TSP works well also. Be sure the area is thoroughly dry before proceeding.

Now you’re ready to begin painting. Be sure to mask the walls and cover the cabinets and floor to prevent damage to areas you are not painting. Apply a good quality primer, 4 inch wide roller works well.

The best paint to use is epoxy paint. It dries to a very hard surface and will be more durable than regular latex paint. Use a ¼ nap roller; this will give you the best coverage and the smoothest finish. You can use a brush, but smoothing it out with a brush takes some real expertise.

Two coast will give you the best results.The paint associates at your local Home Depot can show you the colors available.  Remember to choose a color you can live with, bright color may look good on the chart, but a more subtle color will  blend better with your kitchen décor and be a lot easier to live with in the long run.

Good Luck with your project, and remember help or advice is just a click away.

Posted 2011-01-10T21:32:04+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+