Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

painting plastic coated units what should i use

what should I use to paint plastic units think its tactofoil kitchen units
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-05T12:55:11+0000  by maxie60 maxie60

Hello maxie60 and welcome to the Community.

I do not know what Tactofoil (or is it Thermofoil) is but I think it may be like Melamine.

All though the manufacture of Melamine does not have any recommendations for painting its product, here are a couple of possible options.  Test them in an obscure part to see if you can get the desired effect that you are seeking.

First is a product called Cabinet Rescue.  It does not require the use of special bonding primers when painting over Formica brand laminate or other melamine laminated surfaces.

Next, is Rust-oleum Plastic Primer.  It bonds tightly to plastic and provides for excellent topcoat adhesion and durability. Plastic Primer is suitable for use on polypropylene, polystyrene, resin, fiberglass and vinyl plastics such as chairs, tables and planters.  Plastic Primer is available in a spray can or by the Quart Apply one complete coat of primer using a high quality brush, roller or spray gun.

APPLICATION

Thoroughly mix material to ensure any settled pigment is re-dispersed. Do not thin. Apply one complete coat of primer using a high quality brush, roller or spray gun.

Top Coat Application–A topcoat may be applied to the primed surface when fully dry, usually in 24 hours at 70°F(21°C) and 50% relative humidity. Allow more time at cooler temperatures and higher humidity.

Enamel Top Coat–It is recommended that a top coat be applied to the primer. Use any Rust-Oleum spray paint or oil-based brush enamel.

Latex Top Coat –If a latex top coat is used, it is important to sand the primed surface using 400-grit sandpaper with light, even stokes. Light sanding will increase the adhesion of latex paint on primed plastic surfaces. Remove excess sanding dust with atack cloth.

DRY & RECOAT TIMES

Dry and recoat times are based on 70ºF (21°C) and 50% relative humidity. Allow more time at cooler temperatures. Dries to touch in 1 hour and can be top coated in 24 hours

Give the painted surface plenty of time to dry completely.  Follow the products directions and make sure the surface is totally cured.  Patients will pay off in the final result.

I hope this is pertainant information, if not please provide more details about your project, so I can be more direct.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2017-09-05T17:27:03+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+