Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

palm pygmy date patio

purchased 4 of these not looking good.lots of redish and brown color  they are in large pots any advice.maybe too much or not enough water ?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-07T13:18:48+0000  by mgf mgf

Greetings MGF,

Welcome to the community!  I am answering from the northeast division on the community, but we use palms and tropical on our seasonal patios and porches up here! In my experience patio tropical love bright,bright light but no direct afternoon sun. Even here, in the northeast the sun can scorch and burn palm fronds. Tropical plants that are sold in our garden centers are usually sent from growers that shelter plants under shade-cloth till they are ready to ship.

A well drain, sandy base " target="_self">potting mix is best for potted palms, I recommend using this specific soil in the pots. You will need to water daily with this particular soil. Feed your palms at soil level every three weeks because it flushes right through, the well drained soil. That is my advice from the New England region, if anyone else on the community has more to add please do..hope this helps a bit! Lets us know how things are growing...Good luck from BostonRoots!

MG_cactus_palm_citrus_soil_std[1].png

Posted 2012-06-07T14:58:30+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Hey mgf. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the Community.

You just got some great information from Boston Roots on how to take care

of your patio palm. I’d like to add one more thing to the mix. When you feed

your pygmy date palm, make sure the fertilizer has magnesium in it. It is very

important that palms get magnesium in their diet. HD carries the Dynamite series

of plant foods. All of them contain magnesium. I hope this helps. Take care.

Posted 2012-06-07T16:38:07+0000  by Ken_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+