Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

partial basement

im want to finish my partial basement. there is a mountain of dirt from top to bottom in the basement from 20 yrs ago. the previous owner never got rid of the dirt.  what can i expect from this, and how can i get rid of the dirt and what can i expect afterwards. any hazards?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-02T04:31:52+0000  by dana dana

Hello Dana!

My name is Christine and I work at The Home Depot in Atlanta. I applaude you for your interest in taking on this project. It will be a lot of hard work, but it will be worth it!

Depending on what kind of dirt this is, it may be really hard for you to loosen it. Here in Georgia we have red clay, which is really dense. If you have similar type dirt, you will need to loosen it before you can shovel it out. In talking to TheHammer he suggested using a rotary hammer drill on the "just hammer" setting.

Here is a picture of what one looks like:

boschrotaryhammer.jpg

Click here for information on this rotary hammer drill. 

With a spade drill bit like this one:

spadebit.jpg

Loosen the packed dirt a little at a time, and shovel it up with a good size shovel such as this one:

shovel.jpg

Shovel the dirt in to a wheelbarrow and wheel it out to the yard or wherever you would prefer.

This is certainly a messy job and depending on how much there is and how packed in it is, it may take you some time.

You will want to be cautious of critters that have made a cozy home in the dirt. Disrupting their habitat may anger them, so you may want a few cans of bug killer handy.

Please post before and after pictures. :smileyhappy:

Good luck with this project and let us know if we can help with anything else!

Christine

Posted 2011-02-02T13:27:15+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+