Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

plaster/drywall project

We recently removed kitchen cabinets and soffit hanging over a countertop.  Now we have a strip about 10 ft.x 2ft that is roughly 1/8" shallower than the rest of the ceiling.  The ceiling is plaster and has a few coats of paint where there were no cabinets.

I'm just not sure the best way to go about fstarting this project....ideas?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-13T01:46:10+0000  by silentbob95 silentbob95

Silentbob,

This is one of those situations when you might want to get hold of a plasterer. A plasterer can put on bonding agents and skim on a coat of plaster to level out that recessed area.

I would grant that it is getting harder to find a good plasterer, or even a plasterer. They tend to congregate around cities where there still remains much older housing, but they do still exist. Obviously, drywall has become the norm in most newer buildings.

If do-it-yourself is neccessary, I would patch using "hot mud". Hot mud is drywall compound that comes in a dry powder form which must be mixed with water. Unlike regular drywall mud, it dries chemically. There are several versions with different setting times, 5, 20, 45,90.

I like working with hot mud because it has good adhesion,does not schrink and sets at the appointed time. It wil be working normally and then all of a sudden set up.

Unless you are really good with a trowel, you will want to use the "easy sand" version. Once dry, this can be sanded smooth will little trouble using a sanding block. Whereas it sets rapidly, it does not sand well until the water in it has evaporated after a couple hours. If you sand too soon, it will merely clog your sandpaper.

You need not try to get it all in one coat. It can be built up in a couple layers. As I said, unless you are skilled with a trowel, multiple layers is the way to go.

Once patched and sanded, it should be primed with a good water based primer. It will probably then require a couple finish coats to keep it from "flashing",  i.e. a dull spot due to it being less sealed that the surrounding plaster.

Good luck in finding a plasterer or with your do-it-yourself project!

Posted 2013-03-16T03:36:15+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+