Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

plater and drywall

Can drywall have plaster on it?  Is breating in a little bit of dust from picking it up with a dust bin and brush at all dangerous - in regards to fine particles, crystaline silica, etc. causing respiratory problems (short term and/or perm).  All I did was remove my receiving air vent to place in a new one and some chips fell on my floor.  Did drywall and/or plaster have asbestos involved in it at any time -- my house is from the early 1970's  Thank you.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-15T15:48:17+0000  by beth00 beth00

bethOO,

It is never a bad idea to wear a particulate mask when dealing with unknown dusty substances.. Some versions of plaster in decades past did have some asbestos in it., but I doubt a 1970's house would have it.  To my knowledge, drywall never had asbestos in it, nor its mudding compounds. By the time drywall became common in the 60's and 70's, the dangers of asbestos had become well known.

In any event, the very small amount that you encountered one time would be an extremely small risk. The problem with asbestos was mostly from those people who worked with it day in and day out in the shipyards or in insulation work. Their wives who washed their work clothes also had a higher risk for asbestosis.

Hope this has eased your mind.

Posted 2013-05-15T16:03:52+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+