Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

popcorn ceiling removal

i removed the popcorn from my ceiling but took alot of the paper with it, what do i do to fix it so i can paint it? please help me but im on a very tight budget ok

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-20T21:43:18+0000  by greywolf1 greywolf1

Hey greywolf1,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

We had a very similar question posted on here not too long ago that was answered by our in-house paint expert, PaintPro. The provided link should help you get the ceiling fixed without removing too much money out of your wallet. Look closely on the 5th and 6th step, as he gives pretty detailed instructions on getting the ceiling imperfections smoothed out as well as tips on repainting the ceiling afterwards.

Here is the link----------------------->Removing Popcorn Ceilings

putty knife.JPG

Basically, you will need lightweight joint compound and/or spackling to smooth out the imperfections. Only do this though after closely inspecting the remaining paper is secured and not peeling off the drywall. In the areas where the paper came off and any dings or holes for that matter, apply the joint compound and/or spackling and smooth out with a putty knife (3" as PaintPro recommends). After drying, sand the areas that are bumpy with a pole sander. Use 150 grit sandpaper for the thicker, jagged areas and then follow up with a 220 grit to give it a smooth, clean finish. The pole sander works great for the ceilings, but remember, a dust mask, goggles, and drop cloths on the floor will be your best friends in this project. :smileyhappy:

All of these products are sold in the Paint and Building Materials sections of your local Home Depot and won't break your budget.

Hope this helps you out in your project,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-02-21T13:16:26+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+