Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

possible to seal or somehow waterproof existing wood laminate flooring?

We moved into a house with new wood laminate flooring. The problem is that we have 3 young puppies who are not house broken. We already see some very small signs of swelling from potty mistakes. Is there any possible way to seal our floors somehow? I don't mind excessive work just so long as our house doesn't continue to get damaged. Thank you!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-24T22:03:18+0000  by sissybinny sissybinny

As you've discovered laminate and water don't mix and unfortunately the damage is permanent.  I don't believe there is any kind of sealer available and installing a liquid sealer may cause it's own problems.  The only thing I can think of is to use one of the products that contractors use to protect floors during construction.  There ones that are a self stick plastic sheeting but make sure you buy one that is designed for laminate or hardwood floors, not carpet.  It won't be the most attractive option but should help to minimize damage.

A quick internet search turned up this company.  I don't have any affiliation with them nor have I used their products, it's just to give you an idea of what's out there.
Posted 2015-03-25T12:04:05+0000  by Adam444

Good morning sissybinny!

Thank you for joining us here on the community!

If damage has already occurred, then the only recourse would be to replace the planks themselves, if you can find the exact replacement.

When my dog Maxx was a puppy, he did have accidents on the floor, but I was there to make sure anything was cleaned up asap. With that said, I did have him cordoned off in the kitchen where the vinyl floor was more forgiving than the hardwood flooring. Also, using puppy pads helped a lot as well.

Since the laminate planks are already damaged and its irreversible, replacement as stated earlier, is the only sure-fire solution.

However, if you have little damage or just want something to coat the planks (they already are if they are new), you can apply a product we sell at your local Home Depot called Rejuvenate that can work with giving an added layer of sheen and some protection to it.

This product above works with a sponge mop to give an added layer of protection to the floor, other types of Rejuvenate simply clean the floor, so be sure you get the correct product.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2015-03-25T15:04:06+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hi sissybinny!

Puppies, hardwood floors, cleaners and sealers ... naturally, they all go together.

Any new pet is going to learn their routine with reinforcement.

Cleaning immediately after a mistake with a non-solvent cleaner like Krud Kutter is very important.

Instead of pouring cleaner onto the floor, try dampening a large sponge and wipe, rinse, wipe, and rinse again.

If the edges of the floor begin to swell, place a fan in the room and constantly flow air over the floor until the moisture evaporates and the edges return to original condition.

Finally, lightly sand the floors with 220-grit sandpaper, wipe off the sanding dust, and use floor polyurethane to re-coat.

Try to repair in the same sheen as the original floor.

Allow each coat of poly to dry at least six-hours, lightly sand again and remove sanding dust.

Apply a final coat of poly, allow to dry at least 6-hours before returning to normal use.

These steps and products are "tried and true."

Once seals and cured, put the floors back into daily use.

Posted 2015-03-31T22:35:14+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+