Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

proceedure for painting over paneling

can i use a paint and primer all in one type paint?  should i use flat? semi gloss?  painting my son's bedroom.  Also the paneling has groves in each panel about 12 inches apart, what kind of spackling would i use

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-02T15:08:01+0000  by MELCCHS85 MELCCHS85

MELCCHS85,

The procedure is clean, scuff sand, fill grooves, sand grooves flat, primer, paint.

Clean with washing detergent or TSP. Give special attention to where oil s from fingers might be expected, such as around light switches. If the water beads up on the paneling, better cleaning will be neccessary.

the entire paneling a light scuff sanding with 220 sandpaper, just to break the gloss and give more adhesion for the primer.

The grooves can be filled with simple pre-mixed vinyl spackling compound. It will take 2 or 3 coats to assure no indentation shows. Sand the grooves using a sanding block filled with 120 or 150 grit paper.

Prime the paneling with a dedicated primer. such as the Original Kilz, a fast drying oil based primer. A good quality water based primer such as Glidden's Gripper also works well. If using a strong final color, have the primer tinted toward the finish color.

Finally, paint with a quality finish coat such as Behr Premium Plus or Premium Plus Ultra. Generally, the more sheen, the more washability and scuff resistance. In  boy's bedroom , at least an eggshell would be advised, if not a satin.

Hope this has helped

Posted 2014-01-02T16:59:32+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+