Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

putting in flooring

Part of my question is in tools and hardware. I want to remove wall to wall carpet

and put down flooring. The second part of my question probably should be here

-- can I put down laminate flooring over old tile flooring which is underneath the carpet?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-29T14:04:26+0000  by jessicashouse jessicashouse

Hi there jessicashouse,

Thanks for joining our community!~

For future reference, no need to split up the topics if they're concerning the same job. If needed, we can alert another expert to jump in to help out in the same topic. This way we can all collaborate our answers and other users can easily benefit from it by searching for your topic if they ever have the same question. Also, please direct questions of this nature to our Flooring forum where they would be more appropriate. 

I'll tackle both of your questions here and copy them to your other topic for future reference.

• I need to know what is the best tool to remove wall to wall carpet. The floor underneath is old -- some kind of tile flooring. I plan to put down new flooring. Can I put laminate, for instance, over the old tile floor?

A simple prybar and carpet knife will do the trick just fine. It's actually a very simple process and you'll want to make sure to cut your carpet into small strips to make not only removing it easier, but also to allow for disposal by your local refuse service. You can also follow our Removing Carpet Project Guide as well.

• can I put down laminate flooring over old tile flooring which is underneath the carpet? 

I am assuming that by your question you meant a ceramic tile floor, correct? Then yes, given that it is in good condition and is free of any broken tiles or current subfloor issues. However, I highly recommend you check with your floor's manufacturer first to see if it is a supported substrate. If your grout lines are in poor shape and are considerably deep you may want to consider skim-coating over them with a leveling compound. Otherwise your padded underlayment will sit upon them just fine and you can continue with your installation.

If you by chance meant vinyl tile flooring, then that will work as well. 

Let us know if you have any other questions on this project!~ = )

Posted 2013-04-29T17:45:39+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+