Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

raised patio with pavers

i have a sloped back yard its not sloped really hardly at al but it is sloping down away from house.  i want to make a patio out of pavers but i dont want patio level with the ground that will be surrounding patio.  what i was thinking was trying to put some sand on ground to make patio level, so it would be thinn layer of sand near the house and as you go away from house the layer of sand gets thicker so basically i would have a step at the edge of the patio.  the edges would also have i guess retainer wall bricks to hold the sand in. 

Would this work and what would be the best way to go about this.  I was thinking just putting some pilons of wood in the ground and making the tops of the pilons level all around and have the sand go to the tops of the pilons then lay the pavers on top.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-31T15:37:36+0000  by iverson873 iverson873

Hey iverson873.

It sounds like you have a firm grasp on the project, but I would like to add my 2 cents. You will want to get the ground as level as possible then add 4 inches of paver base, to the ground, smooth out and then tamp down firmly. Paver base provider a much stronger footing for your pavers than sand does and helps drain water away from the area, which will prevent them from sinking and being uneven. Actually check out this video that I found on our vendors site, it is very informative.

pavestone4.png

Posted 2012-04-01T13:58:18+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL
hello, i read your post and i have the same problem. may i ask what you went with? thx
Posted 2013-05-01T11:18:19+0000  by mferg81

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+