Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

re-painting a concrete fountain

I need to re-paint a concrete fountain that has flaked off some of the original paint

and also has white hard water deposits on in that won't come off.

Any ideas on the various steps I need to take?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-09T03:15:33+0000  by Sirknee Sirknee

Hi Sirknee!

Two days ago, I published a video and description of the process for painting a resin fountain.

The process for your concrete fountain will be very similar.

Keep in mind that none of our paints are "marine grade" ... they are not suitable for submersion.

If used under water, our products will flake and peel.

In addition, these oil-based products are not "food safe" ... they will release substances into the water that will harm birds and other animals.

WHAT THIS MEANS:
As a result of the issues mentioned above, you should not install our products below the water line where they will be submersed.

With these qualifiers in place, you'll find the best answer to your question by jumping to the other post.

NOTE:
You might patch any cracks or leaks with Drylok Fast Plug Hydraulic Cement before priming.

Posted 2015-07-09T13:36:27+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hello Sirknee and welcome to the Community.

Pat makes some good points and I would like to add a bit of additional information.

Home Depot carries several paint types of paints for foundations, the best choice would depend on conditions. 

Behr Premium Interior/exterior masonry, stucco and brick comes with a 20 year satisfaction guarantee and is a high quality acrylic paint that is carried both in stores, where it can be color match tinted or on line.

Also Behr’s Exterior Elastomeric masonry, stucco and brick paint comes with a Lifetime limited guarantee.  It is an exterior, flexible high-build coating designed to expand and contract, bridging hairline cracks on vertical masonry surfaces. The finish has a limited lifetime guarantee. This extremely durable, mildew and dirt resistant waterproofing finish has superior elasticity and elongation properties, stretching up to 600% to resist cracking and withstands up to 98 mph wind-driven rain. The 100% acrylic latex formula provides a breathable film, releasing moisture that builds in walls. This may be available on line only, check with your local store.

You mentioned hard water deposits. If you are experiencing water penetration you may want to consider using a masonry waterproofing paint like UGL Drylock. The DRYLOK Masonry Waterproofer is a low-odor paint formulated to protect any interior, exterior, above- or below-grade masonry surface. This waterproofing paint can withstand 10 lb. of hydrostatic pressure equivalent to water pressure at a depth of 22 ft. 

Proper preparation is a must before you apply any of these products.  It is important that you remove as much of the old paint as possible, by hand scraping or power washing.  If you power wash, you must wait until the surface is completely dry.  This may take 24 to 48 hours. Home Depot's Tool rental department rents power washers if you choose to go in that direction.

If you need more hands on help with color and products visit your local Home Depot and in list the help of the knowledgeable paint associates.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2015-07-09T15:18:27+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hello Again Sirknee,

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned a recently produced "How To" video on your topic.

Click this link to see both prep and painting.

Here are photos of the refinished exterior and interior just before reassembly in my customer's garden.

When we filled with water and turned on the fountain, she was thrilled beyond words to have her fountain back is such great appearance and function.

See more by clicking this link to review the newest additions to that thread.
Posted 2015-07-14T15:16:10+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+