Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

recess light - option or hack

Hello, we just finished our basement and my contractor wants to give us a $400+ bill for the light... 
we are at the point where :( we need to stop spending on this project. 
unfortunately he installed a Lightolier baffle trim ( $18 each ) 
is there any way I can find a trim, saw some for a few $$ and ... hoping that light bulb and trim can round at about $8-10 max

I am thinking of a friction trim if ever such things exist... or a hack for that brand 

thank you 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-19T00:23:20+0000  by Amateur16 Amateur16

Unfortunately the trim kits can add quite a bit to the price of installing a can light.  I haven't used the Lightolier brand but I would assume as with other brands there are a variety of trims available including the basic flat plate with a hole in it.  Nowhere near as attractive as a baffle trim, but does work.  Personally I like the new LED modules which combine the "bulb" and trim in one for a clean look.  The store brand ones are in the $12-$15 range and brand names in the upper twenties.

Why is this an add on?  When I was doing such work professionally, the price of installing a can light included a bulb and trim.  Now obviously if the customer picked a more expensive trim, the price was adjusted.
Posted 2016-07-19T08:36:04+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+