Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

refinish laminate furniture?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-28T05:17:31+0000  by brh brh

By "laminate" I'm going to assume you mean somelike like much of Ikea's furniture when there is a thin layer of plastic over a man-made core.  The only option you have is to apply something OVER the laminate.  Could be paint or some kind of faux finish.  You can't change the color of the laminate itself.

Posted 2013-06-28T13:48:09+0000  by Adam444

Hello Brh!

My name is Christine and I'm a Home Depot store associate in Atlanta.

We sell a few products that will work for your project.

One is them is the Rust-Oleum Countertop coating. Even though it says "Countertop" in the title, no worries, this can be painted on anything laminate, including furniture. It comes in 16 colors and leaves a satin finish. 1 quart covers 25 square feet.

The Rust-Oleum Furniture Transformation kit will also work for your project. This kit also comes in a wide variety of colors. It includes everything you need to cover a 35 square foot area. If you have heard of the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformation, this kit is the kid sister of that kit and works the exact same way.

If neither of these options sounds appealing to you, you can prime the surface with an oil based primer, and then paint with either an oil based or latex based paint. If the surface is shiny, you will want to lightly sand the surface with medium grit (180 grit) sand paper before priming.   

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-07-01T15:05:45+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+