Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

removing existing backsplash

How do I remove existing backsplash with minimal damage to drywall and replace with new tile

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-28T18:44:47+0000  by sugarberry sugarberry

Greetings Sugarberry and welcome to the community!!

This is Mike with The Home Depot in Chicago and I’m here to help.  Depending on how much room you have around the black splash will determine what you can use to get this job done. 

I have a few questions to help get you the correct and easiest way.

What material is the tile?  Ceramic, glass, porcline?

Where is the back splash located?  Is there a lot of room around it to work? 

Any way you can up load some pictures to make it easier.

The easiest way to remove a backsplash is usually to take a dremmel and cut away all the old grout.  The nice thing about this is you can gauge how deep you make the cuts so you don’t destroy the drywall too much.

Another way would be to do it with a Manuel grout remover.  You would have to scrape away and remove all the existing grout and take the tiles off.  This will take a little more time to do but you can ensure that the drywall behind it won’t be messed up to bad.

Some sanding will be required to get all the mortar off the drywall once the tiles have been removed. Depending on how bad the drywall is after the tiles are removed, you may just want to replace the whole piece.  It would be time saving compared to sanding and scraping if there's a lot of mortar stuck to it.

Any other info would be great just to make sure we can get you the right way and the easiest way to get the job done.

Posted 2011-01-28T19:32:58+0000  by FlyingHDsod

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+