Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

removing paint from an old fashioned milk can.

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right spot or not but, hopefully, someone will be able to help me.  I have an old milk can. It is aluminum I think. I use it for decoration on my porch.  I need to remove the paint that is on there and re paint it. It will be painted the same color , black. My only problem is,  I just repainted it with spray paint and there are drips all over it. I want to take the paint off and paint it over.  Does anyone have a suggestion on a way to do this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-30T18:19:27+0000  by Kristina22 Kristina22

Hello Kristina22,

Welcome to the Community.

I would suggest that you use a stripper to get all of the paint off and then start over as you mentioned. Here are a few different kinds that would work for your application. If you click on the orange words it takes you to the item on homedepot.com so you can read more about each item.

kleen strip stripper.jpg           multi strip.jpgready strip.jpg                   

Stripper-X                                        Multi-strip                           Ready Strip

Make sure that you always follow all of the safety guidelines for what ever stripper you choose to use.

All of these strippers are very easy to use. Just apply, wait the requires time and scrap off. I would use a putty knife and a wire brush to get all of the paint off once the stripper/paint is ready to come off. Once you have got all of the paint off make sure that you clean the surface really well and then apply a good primer coat before you apply your final coat of paint. Your final paint job is only as good as your prep coat.

Make sure that if your using spray paint that you shake the can for 60 seconds and then shake often during use. Hold the can upright 8”-12” away from the surface and spray in a steady back and forth motion, slightly overlapping each stroke.  Do not stop in one place or you will create runs in the paint.  

Well I think your on the right track now so you shouldn't have any issue making your milk can beautiful again.

We would love to see each step as you go. If you get a chance take pictures as you go and then do a follow up post so we can see the process and the completed project. I’m sure it would give somebody else the confidence to refinish one of their items.  

Thanks again for your question and let us know if you have any other question. We would be glad to help.

Posted 2011-03-30T21:50:41+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+