Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

repairing a bathroom wall

The shower head in my guest bath was not properly installed and the resulting spray has totally disintegrated the drywall directly behind the shower head.  What do I need to do to fix it? And what materials will I need?  If I could also get a price quote that would be helpful.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-02T00:53:18+0000  by theora_sensei theora_sensei

Hello Theora_sensei,

My name is Christine and I work at The Home Depot in Atlanta.

Here is a list of items you will need to complete this project:

• Putty knife
  • Utility knife
  •  1” x 3” piece of wood (also known as furring strip)

• Waterproof drywall 

• 1 5/8” drywall screws

• Joint compound

• Drywall knife
    • Fiberglass mesh drywall tape

• Sandpaper

• Primer

First you need to remove the disintegrated drywall. If it is a substantial piece, cut it out with a utility knife.

Now that the soft drywall has been removed look in the hole and see if there are at least 2 wall studs. If there are no studs, you will need to install at least 1 furring strip. Screw it in using the 1 5/8” drywall screws.

Then, cut the drywall to fit the hole. Screw it to the studs or furring strips with the drywall screws.

Next, apply a coat of joint compound to the edges using the 6” drywall knife. Embed the fiberglass mesh drywall tape into the wet compound. Then scrape off the excess and allow it to dry for at least eight hours.

After eight hours apply two more coats of joint compound and allow it to dry in between coats. Sand the final coat with 120-grit sandpaper.

Finally prime the surface and then paint.

I hope this helped you out,

Let us know if we can help with anything else,

Christine

Posted 2011-03-02T14:44:12+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
    Categories+