Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

replace a cabinet with a new dishwasher

Hi, I actually don't want to replace my entire kitchen countertops and cabinetry, but I do want a dishwasher in my kitchen.  Is it possible to pull out one set of cabinets and replace it with a dishwasher with out having to replace my entire kitchen? If so, what should I be on the look out for when shopping for a new dishwasher?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-19T23:01:25+0000  by kato06 kato06

Hi Kato06,

Yes, a dishwasher can be installed in place of one of your cabinets, in fact the cabinet doesn’t even need to be removed. Be sure to choose a location near the kitchen sink for the water supply, power cord and drain connections.

What you will have to do is remove the cabinet door and measure the opening. The typical dishwasher requires an opening no smaller than 24 inches wide, 24 inches deep and 34 inches

high.

You will have to cut out the cabinet base down to the floor level, and remove it. A sawzall can be used for the job.

Once the opening is in place, you will have to cut additional holes in the side of the cabinet for the drain hose, water supply line and power cord for the dishwasher.

Additional holes may be needed in the adjoining cabinets as well.

When shopping for a new dishwasher, take a look at the reviews in consumer magazines such as Consumer Reports and talk to your friends and neighbors for tips and advice.

I would recommend a model with a stainless steel tub. These models are quieter and offer the most features. Stainless tubs won’t warp and stain like plastic models do.

Also look at the warranty, Maytag models for instance, offer a 10 year warranty on the stainless tub, racks and motor, most other manufactures don’t.

Stop by your local Home Depot, the appliance associates will show you all the Maytag, GE, and LG models we carry and explain the differences, so you can make an educated decision.

Plus they can supply you with the exact dimensions required for the model you choose, so it will fit perfectly.

I hope this information is useful to you.

Mike,

Posted 2012-04-20T00:26:14+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+