Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Answered

replace sink with a bathroom cabinet

how do i replace a regular bathroom sink (not pedestal) with a small bathroom cabinet. i have tile floors in bathroom.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-08-30T13:24:06+0000  by cnc cnc

Hi there cnc, and welcome to the community! I am going to assume that your current sink is wall mounted since you said it is not a pedestal sink. Replacing your wall mount with a vanity mounted sink will give you a bunch more storage space in the bathroom and will also allow you to bring coordinating wood tones into the bath. In short, I think it is a great idea!

Luckily this is a doable project for a do it yourselfer, although you will probably need to trick a friend into helping you. I’ll go ahead and break this project down step by step.

-Get your materials ready! For this project you will need a few rags, wood shims, carpenters level, a bucket, silicone caulk, plumbers putty an adjustable wrench, a pair of adjustable pliers, a utility knife, a few wood screws, a drill, stud finder, safety glasses, and a few hours. You will also need your new vanity, vanity top with sink, and a new faucet and popup assembly (optional). 

Project Materials.JPG

-Turn off the water supply valves (hot and cold) and disconnect the water supply lines from the valves using your adjustable wrench. Empty the contents of the supply lines into your bucket.

-Disconnect the P-trap by loosening the compression nuts with your adjustable pliers (channel locks). Empty the contents of the P-trap into your bucket.

-Shove a rag into the drain line that leads into the wall, this will help prevent the buildup of sewage gasses in the bathroom (yuck).

-At this point you may want to disconnect the popup assembly and linkage from the sink if you think they will be in your way, or if you are going to reuse the faucet.

You will now need to inspect how the sink mounts to the wall. It is usually a French cleat style system, with a bracket that mounts to the wall, the sink then slides down onto that bracket and receives it in a matching crevice (see illustration). What you need to do at this point is look for any leveling screws, or secondary mounting screws that may need to be removed NOTE: Do not remove the mounting bracket screws as this will cause your sink to just fall off the wall unexpectedly.

sink.JPG

-Remove secondary positioning screws / leveling screws if applicable.

-Where the backsplash of the sink meets your wall there should be a nice bead of caulk. Use your utility knife to cut the caulk out of this crevice.

-With your partner’s help lift the sink up until it is free from the mounting bracket. Dispose of the sink. (If you are having trouble getting the sink loose on the bracket you can put a small piece of 2x4 (roughly 10-12” long) against the bottom of the sink and hammer it upwards while your partner holds the sink from the top making sure that it doesn’t fall off its bracket. NOTE: Never hammer the sink directly, use a piece of wood to transfer the energy so that the porcelain doesn’t shatter, I would recommend wearing safety glasses here.

-Now that the old sink is out, you can unscrew the bracket from the wall.

At this point the old sink is gone and you are ready to start the installation of your new vanity cabinet and top!

-Move the vanity cabinet in place and check for fit make sure that the plumbing will fit inside the cabinet. Also check for fit of the vanity top. Check that the vanity is level, and shim if nessisary. 

-Using your drill and stud finder, put a few long (2 ½” – 3”) wood screws through the vanity backing, into studs. This will make your vanity earthquake safe!

-Install your new faucet and popup assembly onto your new vanity top / sink. Remember to use a little bead of plumbers putty or silicone caulk around both of these so that you will have a waterproof seal for life.

-Put a thin bead of silicone caulking around the top of the vanity cabinet and carefully place the vanity top / sink in place.

-Attach the P-trap and supply lines, don’t forget to remove your rag from the drain pipe, and open the supply valves.

-Test the drain and supply for leaks.

-Run a bead of caulk between the backsplash and wall.

-High-five your partner! That’s a job well done!

It is worth noting that new supply lines and shut off valves are highly reccomended anytime you will be doing this kind of work in the bathroom. It pays to replace them while you will already have them disconnected.

Cnc, If you have any questions on how to complete an individual step of this project please let me know, I would be happy to go into more detail. Also, if you are having a hard time figuring out how the sink comes off of the wall bracket, if you post a picture from the underside of the sink, looking up, it will go a long way towards us being able to help you eradicate that old sink!

I hope this helps cnc!

-Blake

Best Answer

Posted 2011-08-30T19:59:16+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+