Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

replace xenon light bulb

How do I replace a G8 20 watt 120 volt xenon light bulb in a Hampton Bay under cabinet puck light?  How do I remove the cover to access the light bulb?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-08-09T14:17:24+0000  by JFarr JFarr

Hello JFarr and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here. 


I recommend that you unplug the light from the electrical supply and allow the unit to completely cool down. 


Twist the lens cover counter-clockwise to loosen the cap.  Remove the old bulb and insert a new one (G8 - 20 watt 120 volt max Xenon bulb).  Replace the lens with a slight clockwise motion.  Plug the fixture back into the electrical supply.  Enjoy the light!


Thank you for joining the discussions and best wishes on your project.



Posted 2011-08-09T18:14:52+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Hello JFarr, hopefully you haven't changed the bulb just yet, I wanted to add one more important note, Never touch a Halogen or Xenon bulb with your bare fingers, the oils from your skin can weaken the glass of the bulb, and shorten it's life. Use gloves or a cloth to hold the bulb when removing it from the package and inserting into the fixture.

Posted 2011-08-11T18:43:46+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

I have tried turning the lens cover counter clockwise and the cover will not come off, I don't want to break the light, but teh bulb is out and I cannot change it because I cannot get the cover off.  Any other suggestions?  Thank you.

Posted 2011-11-13T01:57:51+0000  by cardsmike

Hey cardsmike,


Welcome to the community!


Did you try to turn the fixture lens counter-clockwise as Designingwoman stated earlier on this thread? 


If you did, can you let us know what the product is by a description or picture? 


Please let us know,


Posted 2011-11-14T16:19:50+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

i have same problem ----hampton bay sku 728600 item 100276599

how do you change bulb

Posted 2013-02-23T02:26:27+0000  by rchaymon

hello rchaymon,


Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!


Judging by your light , it looks like a 3-light brushed steel under cabinet light kit shown below.

Do you notice on your fixtures a wire metal ring that is in between the outside metal housing and the glass? The part where the metal ring almost meets can be pressed together, which will allow the glass and ring to fall down. Be careful not to let it hit the floor or countertop and break. 


After this is removed, you can get a new G8 20 watt light bulb for your fixtures. Be careful as to not let your fingers come in contact  with glass, as the oils from them can damage and prematurely shorten the life of the bulb. Use a paper towel or gloves and replace the old, with a new shown below....

Feit Electric 20-Watt G8 Base Halogen Light Bulb

This bulb is sold in stock in our store with our other light bulbs. The SKU number for it is 126-845. The old bulb will simply slide down and new one will slide up into the two hole slots in your fixture. Next place the glass back into the fixture and press your metal ring together so it can snap back into the gap inside the metal's that easy!


I hope this has helped you out, and let us know if we can assist you with any further questions you may have.


Posted 2013-02-23T18:13:14+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I had the same issue about not being able to turn it.  When I shined a light on the puck, I saw there was a very tiny screw keeping it from turning.  I took that out and it came off easily with the counter-clockwise twist.

Posted 2013-11-16T17:33:26+0000  by CharlieNoTomato
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question