Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Answered

replacing broken tiles in shower

My dog has major anxiety attacks during storms, and often will cause damage to my new house.  She has recently has chewed up the door frames of 3 different bedroom doorways,& tore the tv cable out of the wall twice. So I thought putting her my shower would be a safe place for her where she couldn't hurt herself or tear anything up.  I was wrong.  She tore out 3 tiles & destroyed the sheetrock & materials beneath the tile at the door entrance.  I need to know how to replace that underlying material & the tile pieces.  I have pictures but not sure if I can post them here, this is my first time to use this forum.  I am newly separated & going through a divorce & am trying to learn how to do things that my husband would normally be doing.  Any help is appreciated!!  Thanks!  DD

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-12T07:18:15+0000  by DeDeedoesit DeDeedoesit

Ah, I gotcha. Wow...that's one strong dog to have ripped out ceramic tiles :o

Oh and for future use if you ever get that message again, you can upload your pictures to a hosting site that will resize them for you automatically, like http://imageshack.us/ and then post them. =)

As for the question at hand, you're in a tricky spot to repair. The sheetrock that is behind the tile is called "green board." It's a moisture resistant form of traditional drywall and is common in older bathrooms. Depending on how bad the greenboard is, you may or may not have to replace it entirely.

If only the top paper layer was removed, then you can tile back over that with no problem.

If a bit of the gypsum (white, rock-type material inside drywall) was removed you can go over it with a joint compound and then sand and smooth it down. It's not too bad a job for a novice DIY-er, as you have to apply it with a putty knife and smooth it out and then sand it down till it's smooth and even with the rest of the sheetrock to it's sides. Then you can go over it with the tile once you're back to level.

However, if most of the greenboard was removed, then you'd have to replace it entirely. If this is the case you'd need to get new sheetrock and have it cut for you at the store. I would recommend bringing your camera with you to show an associate just how much was taken out and also to show them where thew new piece needs to be attached. They can take a look at that and advise you on how to reattach the greenboard piece and have it properly sealed up...

As for the tile itself, you'll want to first sand off as much of the old glue as you can from the back of it. Get a heavy grit sand paper like a 60 and remove as much of it as possible. You can then use a couple of different products to get it adhered again--

Tile Repair Mortar: This small amount of adhesive will work great for your size area. You can either apply it with a putty knife or margin-type trowel, or V-Notch trowel to spread the adhesive on the back of the tile. Also spread a bit on the sheetrock as well, just a bit thou as if you were buttering toast.

premixedgrout.PNG

Premixed Grout: Also great for repair areas. This is what you'll use to regrout once the tiles have adhered to the wall. If possible, let them sit overnight with the new adhesive and then grout. If not, then 6-8 hours will be fine also. You'll use a Float to put the grout back into the space between the tile, and then let that dry overnight as well.

adhesivegrout.PNG

Adhesive & Grout Combo: This is very similar to what I've already mentioned, aside from being a combo of the two. It's both an adhesive and a grout, so it serves a dual purpose. The downside is that it isn't available in all colors though, but most of the popular ones will have a mixture of it available.

Once the grout has dried, be sure to seal the new grout with a sealer. This will prevent against water from seeping into it and causing damage to your new green board, and will also prevent against mold and mildew growth.

Hopefully that clarifies a few things, but feel free to ask if you're still uncertain about something. Or don't hesitate to ask one of the associates working in our stores, so they can give you an in person walk through of them and perhaps a demo as well.

Best Answer

Posted 2011-05-12T16:49:32+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hi there DeDeedoesit,

Sorry to hear about your house troubles :/ We had pretty bad storms overe here yesterday as well.

Not quite sure on which type of tile you're speaking of, but I would hazard a guess that you mean vinyl tiles and not ceramic, since they were pulled up so easily. Correct?

The pictures might help us out on this one, because I'm also a bit confused on what underlayment material you're referring to. Sheetrock is a common term for drywall, so that shouldn't be on the floor at all.

To post up pictures in a topic, you can look out for this button:

picturebutton.PNG

That will help you post up a picture in many of the common formats like .jpg or .png.

If you can see about posting those up, that would greatly help us figure out your issue and make the best recommendation possible :)

Posted 2011-05-12T14:12:50+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

hi, Thank you for your prompt reply.  they are ceramic tiles, not vinyl. it is inside the shower.   I am unable to upload my pictures, it says they are too large &  I cannot make them smaller.  the tiles torn out are on the verticle lip below the shower door, there is what looks to me like sheetrock behind the tiles that is now also torn up.  

Posted 2011-05-12T15:59:05+0000  by DeDeedoesit

img3302z.th.jpg 

hey thanks for the picture help link.  that worked.  now you can get a better idea of what the problem is.  but your description of how to fix it was pretty involved.  have to admit, I'm a little intimidated, more work than I anticipated. :womansad:  I may just call around for a handyman on this one & use the kids shower in the meantime.  Thanks so much for all your time!  DD

Posted 2011-05-12T21:16:51+0000  by DeDeedoesit

Not a problem ^^ Glad it worked~

I can see that it looks like she only tore up a bit of the gypsum (see that white material thats exposed there, that's it.)

Sorry that it turned out a bit intimidating :o Just remember that we also have our in-store clinics that we do. I run the tiling one at my store and I get people bringing questions like these all the time :) . So that's always an option too to if you'd like to look into that at your local store.

Best of luck with it and let us know if we can help you out with anything else around the house...we'll be here!~

Posted 2011-05-13T13:09:23+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+