Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

replacing old drywall with new drywall

how do i know what drywall to use its in a old brownstone

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-28T16:23:53+0000  by pamelamungin pamelamungin

Depending on the age of the home and whatever remodeling has taken place over the years, you can have a number of systems.  There's traditional lathe and plaster and a bunch of variations of "drywall".    The modern for plaster and lathe replacement is a special wallboard topped with a skim coat of plaster to give that hard, smooth sureface.  It's definitely not a DIY project as it take years to develop the skills necessary to apply the skim coat properly.


Certainly you can gut back to the studs and replace whatever is there with ordinary drywall.  The drawback is that older systems tend to be thicker than the standard 1/2" drywall so door and window jambs will be too wide and electrical boxes will need to be moved.

Posted 2013-06-28T17:50:32+0000  by Adam444
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question