Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

replacing tub

HI,

I am replacing my tubs with newer ones and I am looking for advice on what kind of material I should get. My current tubs are old, I think they are made from plastic, they have stains that won't come out, and they squeak when you take a shower.  What is the best material to get? Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-05T18:51:21+0000  by MsTina MsTina

Hi Tina,

Over the years industry has changed and acrylic and fiberglass tubs have improved when it comes to resistance to chemicals and staining. Yours may be one of the industry pioneers. :)

They are still very popular due to its cost and ease of handling/installation.

Where budget permits, I normally advise and personally opt out for cast iron tubs.

Cast iron tubs are impervious to most chemicals, virtually impossible to dent and very difficult to scratch.

Disadvantages are that they chip relatively easily and are difficult to install when compared to acrylic or gelcoat fiberglass.

But as a current owner of the acrylic/fiberglass you will notice an immediate difference...

They feel super silent and solid.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.

George

Posted 2013-03-05T20:34:54+0000  by George_HD_CHI

I would second George's advocasy of a cast iron tub. They just exude quality.

One model I might reccommend is the Kohler "Villager". It has been around for years and still looks contemporary. It also is very reasonably priced for a quality tub.

I am a pretty good DIY'er, but I would recommend professional installation. Iron tubs are very heavy. If the pro chips it, it is his problem, if you chip it you are out your money. Also, the pro assures a leak free installation.

Posted 2013-03-06T05:01:04+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+