Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

reseeding the lawn

Hey ,

I live in northwest sammamish, I was planning to reseed but really confused the steps to follow.

Should I go with Overseeder or an Aerator, as I've to rent it. But which one is good to use in Fall.

I was planning in this order.

1. Low Mow
2. Detach using a hand tool maybe.
3. Overseeder http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Overseeder/TS-20HD/ 
4. Fertilize based on soil test.
5. Regularly water the lawn.

Please recommend should I need to aerate too ?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-27T21:33:25+0000  by Akash Akash

Hi Akash.

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

Be cautious about doing a low mow.  Depending on the type of grass you have, you could burn your lawn on one of the hot fall days.  

The aerator is a great tool to reduce compaction in your lawn.  I would water right after you use your aerator

Wait for about 3 hours to allow the water to soak in and then I would apply a light layer of a good topper such as Kellogg’s Topper, Scotts Lawn Soil or even Eco Scraps Garden Soil.  Use a compost spreader to put down a light layer of the topper.

Once your soil has been laid down go ahead and use your overseeder.  Cover the see with another light coating of the topper.  If you want to fertilize, be sure to use a “Starter Fertilizer” and not a regular grass fertilizer.  The regular grass fertilizer will burn the new sprouts of your grass seed.  Once that task has been accomplished it is time to water.  Be sure to keep the soil damp so that the seeds will not dry out. 

To re-cap your steps:

1.       Do a regular mow of your grass

2.       Aerate the lawn

3.       Water

4.       Add a good quality Topper

5.       Add your seed

6.       Cover with Topper

7.       Add your Starter Fertilizer

8.       Water

You may have to water several times a day in short intervals to keep the spoil damp unless you have some rain.

Be sure to take some pictures of your overseeding project and share them with us.  Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2015-08-28T19:15:34+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+