Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

restore laminated cabinets

can old laminated kitchen cabinets be restored?

no ads please

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-10T05:57:45+0000  by piguetchristine piguetchristine

Welcome to our community Piguetchristine,

Thank you for your question! I get this question from customers at my store pretty often. I would like to tell you about a few way you can restore your laminate cabinets. :)

Rust-Oleum has a couple of products that will work wonderfully on  your cabinets.

The first one is their laminate countertop paint. Contrary to the title of this product, it can be used on any laminate surface, including your cabinets. It can be tinted to a variety of colors and will leave a smooth finish.

Countertop coating

The second one I would like to discuss with you is Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations. This product is really popular and works very well on laminate surfaces. Here is a video that shows how this product works.

Cabinet Transformations

If neither of these options rock your world, you have another option. I have actually done this, and it has held up beautifully.

First, you will use an oil- based primer on your cabinets. When I did this project, I was going from dark brown to white. I applied two coats of white oil- based primer to kill that brown as much as I could. After the primer has dried, you will apply either an oil- based or latex based paint on top. Typically people use a semi-gloss or high gloss paint for cabinets, but using a satin finish is not unheard of. Keep in mind, the shinier it is, the easier it will be to clean.

Here's a tip: Using a porch and floor paint on cabinets is going to be a lot more durable than using wall paint. After all, porch and floor paint is meant to be walked on! Porch and floor paint can be tinted to an endless array of colors. :)  

Good luck with your project! Please let us know if we can help with anything else!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-06-10T13:53:44+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+