Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

rod iron railing

How can i remove the paint from a rod iron rails in the house

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-04T21:48:14+0000  by ecolon4536 ecolon4536

ecolon,

My first question would be why do you want to remove the paint from your "wrought" iron rails? Do they have too heavy a build up of paint? Is it peeling badly? Perhaps just a good cleaning and sanding would bring the desired results.

Should you want to proceed, the best procedure would require clemical stripping. This would be best accomplished outside of the home if the rails are detachable from the wall. The process can be messy, often with caustic chemicals which can cause colateral damage to the surrounding surfaces. These chemicals splashed on surrounding walls or floors  will also strip that paint or varnish !  To avoid this, all surfaces upon which stripper might be splashed or dripped upon, must be protected with plastic and or layers of paper or rosin paper.

There are many supposedly environmental strippers on the market today, however, the caustic, nasty versions still work the fastest. These can cause chemical burns if left on the skin. You will want rinse water handy, protective gloves and eyeglasses.

Once the areas are protected, you should proceed with one of the heavy bodied strippers which will stay in place on verticle bars. Once the paint is softened, it would then be best removed with tufts of medium grade

steel wool and small wire brushes. Finally, once the "gunk" is removed, a final wipe down with lacquer thinner will remove the remaining residue.

I am assuming that after stripping, you will want to repaint the rails.  Most common would be a rather dull, wrought iron looking paint. My first choice would be the use of RustOleum  "Stops Rust" spray can paints. Here again, this would be much easier if the rails have been removed from the house proper. It still can be sprayed within a home, but covering  the entire area would be necessary to prevent overspray from settling on floors or hitting nearby surfaces. Of course, the rails can also be brushed using the brushing version of oil based Stops Rust.

For handrails that are actually used for grabbing, rather than merely decorative, oil paints will perform better than acylic latex paints. Constaint exposure to hand oils tend to soften acrylic paints. Oils also flow out and level themselves better, especially on small detail work which requires much brushing. They dry to a hard, durable, washable, non-gummy feeling surface.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-12-05T07:39:28+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+