Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

rusty window a/c drip pan

I have a very very large 12yr old window a/c unit. Each year the unit has worked perfectly with out fail. As i began to clean it today the metal bottom that the a/c sit in is very rusted mainly on the back part of the pan. Can use use a rust primer to fix it? I really appreciate any help im new at DIY.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-01T15:53:05+0000  by ernette ernette

Welcome to our community Ernette!

My name is Christine and I'm a Home Depot associate in Atlanta.

There are a few ways to approach rust. You can, as you mentioned, prime the area with a rusty metal primer. A rusty metal primer will bond to the rust and keep corrosive air and moisture away. 

There are also rust reformer primers available. These primers will actually transform the rust to a non-rusting, paintable surface. 

With both of these products, you will want to apply paint on top of them so it matches the rest of your AC unit.

I wanted to mention one more thing before I let you go. If you would like to remove the rust, you can use a product called "Navel Jelly". This will actually remove the rust. It is a gel consistency and you will brush it on, wait 5-10 minutes and wipe it off. You may have to do this a few times for all of it to come off. After you do this, spray a rust preventative to ensure that rust will not come back.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-05-13T19:31:10+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+