Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Answered

screen and recoat hardwood floors?

Hi,

We just bought our first house; there's hardwood floors in the kitchen and the sunroom, the surface is largely in decent shape with some high-traffic areas and stain marks from flower pots. We haven't moved in yet, so I'd like to freshen up the floors; I would also like to avoid sanding since we just the interior painted (and I don't feel like i have the guts to go that far). After some googling it appears what I want is "screen and recoat". Any ideas as to what kind of results I should expect from this process and what kind of tools/supplies I'll need to accomplish it?

Thanks,

Andrey

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-22T13:44:45+0000  by ae5880 ae5880

Darleen,

I'll defer to the experts but to stain (even the same color), you have to get completely past the top coat meaning sanding down to the bare wood  (likely with a floor sander) and with manufactured flooring I don't know if it's possible to get to the bare wood without risking ruining the floor.

Again,  I'll defer to the HD folks who are way more knowledgable than I.

Brad

Posted 2014-01-04T17:23:50+0000  by jbpeek

One final (hopefully) question.  Some of the posters differ between lambs wool pads and rollers.  What's the best practice?  I'll use pads, but obviously a roller will cover a lot more turf than pads.

Posted 2014-01-04T17:57:15+0000  by jbpeek

Hi.  Thanks for all the advice.  Can I cut screens for fit my own polisher?

Posted 2014-01-22T12:25:04+0000  by beahnsidhex

Hey beahnsidhex,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Depending on the polisher you have as well as the screens you buy will determine if you can cut them to size. While they typically can, I'd advise you buy screens made for your polisher.

This saves you time and money and you'll know you will get the right fit.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-22T14:13:10+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+