Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

sheet rocking living room,

how do i find out how many sheets of drywall i need for my livingroom?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-21T22:57:15+0000  by laurakling laurakling

First calculate the area you will be attaching drywall to.  Don’t forget to include closets and half walls.  At this point – don’t worry about subtracting for window/door openings.

Next; measure the height times the length of each full wall and ceiling section.

For example:  a wall that is 10’ X 20’ = 200 square foot of space.

Now add together each individual measurement (sq. /ft.) to get a total overall amount.

For example:  our 200’ + 100’+75’+ 150’… = a total amount of 525’

Now in order to estimate how many sheets of drywall you need, you need to decide what size sheets of drywall you intend to use. Drywall is typically sold in 4’x 8’ sheets, though 4x10 and 4x12 sheets are relatively easy to find. Use the longest sheets that are feasible for your individual job. Sometimes there are factors that make longer sheets out of the question, such as having to turn tight corners to get into a room, etc…, but longer sheets mean fewer sheets, which in turn =  less taping, plastering, and sanding later – and that is the really time-consuming part of drywall construction.

One 4’x 8’ sheet of drywall covers 32 square feet. So simply divide your total square footage by the square footage of the drywall sheets you intend to use.  Add, at a minimum, 10% - 15% extra for waste, 20% if you want to comfortably account for minor mistakes.

Using our example measurements – 525 sq./ft. divide by 32 = 16.41 sheets + 20% for extra = 20 sheets of 4x8 drywall needed.   

drywall.JPG

Hope this helps. paiintpro.JPG

Posted 2012-07-22T15:11:45+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+