Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Answered

simplistic bed frame

i'm planning on building a very simplistic bed frame. the "blueprints are provided below.                                                                          photo.JPG

the frame will be made of either 2x8 or 1x8, while the top support will be OSB board.

is this a viable frame? will it hold structurally?

the open sides are for extra storage, and are set like they are because the storage units that are going underneath are close to 19 inches. please ask if anything is unclear

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-02T01:15:59+0000  by orellana06 orellana06

Good job orellana06!

I like your design! The only changes I would make here is the plywood you'll be using for the top support and the design of the end boards.

I think you're better of using BC plywood in place of OSB.

BC plywood will give you more stability, smoother finish and it stains and finishes better than the OSB.

I would make the end boards one solid piece full width of the bed. This will give you more of the "furniture" look to it than having the seams exposed.

Here’s what I have in mind;

sim.bed1.jpg

I would also overhang the plywood about 3/4" of an inch or so past the perimeter of the bed. This will help you conceal frame misalignments and what not.

sim.bed2.jpg

You can maybe use some construction adhesive in between the plywood top and the frame to tie it all together!

sim.bed3.jpg

And here it is... Go for it:smileyhappy:

George

Best Answer

Posted 2013-04-02T16:29:27+0000  by George_HD_CHI

wow, thanks a lot for the advice! this looks great!

Posted 2013-04-04T01:40:42+0000  by orellana06

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+